Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Signing Day: This time last year...



Remember National Signing Day, the 2010 version?
I do, mostly because it was fun to cover.
In the age of the verbal commitment, Signing Day is typically high on pageantry and low on drama. Student-athletes make their commitments months - sometimes years - in advance, and simply make it official during the first Wednesday in February.
It offers as many twists and turns as a Pauly Shore film festival.
Thanks to Manatee alum Brion Carnes - sitting to the right of Ace Sanders in the above photo snapped by Bradenton Herald photographer Paul Videla - last year was a different story.
Initially, Carnes committed to USF, and was ready to head to Tampa. Then the Bulls fired USF coach Jim Leavitt on Jan.8, leading to the hiring of Skip Holtz and the end of Carnes' career at USF before it began.
Back on the recruiting trail, Carnes took a trip to Western Kentucky. The Hilltoppers are coached by former Manatee great Willie Taggart, whose staff includes former Palmetto/Bayshore coach Raymond Woodie.
With an offer from Nebraksa on the table, Carnes committed to WKU in late January.
Confused yet?
So then comes Signing Day, and quite frankly, no one knew what Carnes was going to do.
His choice?
Nebraska.
“I really thought about it — can I really achieve my dreams and my goals at Western Kentucky like I can at Nebraska?” Carnes said that day. “Nebraska is going to be (in) the top 10. ... If I work real hard, I can contend for a Hesiman Trophy, I could be able to go to a BCS National Championship (Game), and that’s what I want.”
It was a whirlwind. But it was also fun to cover. And Brion seems to be happy with his decision, and really, that is the most important thing.
Whether they decide to play football or baseball, or make a decision based strictly on academics, kids need to pick the best college for THEM. Not their friends or boosters or coaches.
It took some time, but Brion Carnes did that last February.
And it made for an eventful Signing Day, to boot - one that I will never forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment