Friday, September 2, 2011

Prep football: Chase Sandberg out for the season

(photo by Grant Jefferies)


There will be no more football for Chase Sandberg.


Not at Manatee, anyway.


The senior wide receiver will undergo surgery on his left labrum Monday, Sept. 12, and will be out four months.


"Football is completely out (for this season)," Sandberg said Thursday after he and the rest of the Hurricanes landed in Baltimore for Friday's game against Our Lady of Good Counsel in Olney, Md.


Sandberg suffered the injury to his shoulder, which has already been worked on once, during a scrimmage prior to last week's Kickoff Classic with Delray Beach American Heritage. A three-year varsity player, Sandberg was a defensive back last year and grabbed a team-best three interceptions.


The plan this fall was for him to move back to receiver and catch passes from his brother, Cord, Manatee's junior quarterback.


"He can't focus too much on it," Chase said of the brothers not being able to play pitch-and-catch this season. "He has a season to worry about...My mom is taking it pretty hard."


Despite being unable to play, Sandberg still took the trip to Maryland with the team, though he did not want to clog up a roster spot.


"I didn't want to take the place of a kid who really deserved it," Chase said. "I told the coaches that, but I guess that didn't happen...I really want to put on my pads and hold. That's about all I can do right now."


The silver lining is that Chase should be 100 percent come baseball season. A shortstop, he helped the Hurricanes reach the Class 5A state semifinals last spring, and he has already received offers from Florida Southern and State College of Florida.


"I'm pretty much a baseball guy," Chase said, though he added that once he has recovered, he will still able to play football in college should he decide to go that route. "And it's my left shoulder, not my right. So that's a good thing.


"God has a plan for me."

No comments:

Post a Comment