Monday, July 7, 2014

Prep football: Chris Conboy resigns as Manatee's quarterbacks coach

Chris Conboy will not return as Manatee's quarterbacks coach.
With new head coach John Booth coaching the quarterbacks and John's brother James serving as the offensive coordinator, Conboy didn't see a big role for himself on the staff.
"They do what I do, and I didn't want to coach another position," said Conboy, adding the split was amicable. "I thought it be best for the kids if I wasn't out there so they could buy into the new system."
A Cardinal Mooney graduate, Conboy coached at Manatee from 1992-98 and returned in 2006. He also served as a liaison between players and college coaches, and applied to be Manatee's new coach when Joe Kinnan decided to take a medical leave of absence for the 2014 school year.
Conboy was one of seven finalists before the job went to John Booth, who graduated from Manatee in 2000 and earned All-America honors while playing quarterback at MidAmerica Nazarene.
"It wasn't something I set out to do," John Booth said about parting ways with Conboy. "I was pleased with his professionalism. It could have gone a million different ways. He was very respectful.  We parted ways, and this gives him a chance to pursue a  coordinator opportunity at another school."
Booth offered Conboy another position on staff. But Conboy declined. 
Conboy said he plans on continuing to teach at Manatee. While he doesn't think he is through with coaching, he is unsure what will happen  in the immediate future."There are a few things I thought about doing," he said. "For the longest time, I never had time to do anything else in the fall but coach football. Just have to wait and see what unfolds. Having a 3-year-old and a 10-year-old, I'm sure I'll stay busy."
Though he won't be a part of it, Conboy said he plans on keeping an eye on how the Hurricanes fare in 2014.
"I said that one of reasons I stepped aside was I thought it would be best for (the players)," he said. "I didn't really feel like I could add any value. I think stepping aside and letting them go 100 percent into the new system was the best thing."


5 comments:

  1. This I understand! Thanks Chris for all you have done!! I found out yesterday that Booth had asked Coach Gulash to come back and coach the defensive line and he agreed too. The worthless principal refused to let him back to coach. Sounds to me like they are trying to bring the program to the ground.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The new coach Booth does not have strong past winning numbers ,so why did he get the job ??

    ReplyDelete
  3. SAD!!!! MANATEE WILL NOT BE THE SAME NOW

    ReplyDelete
  4. THE COACH FROM LT. LAUDERDALE SHOULD HAVE GOTTEN THE POSITION BECAUSE OF THE WINNING TRADITION OF ST. THOMAS....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Manatee football is "gone with the wind ",so sad

    ReplyDelete