Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Prep football: Manatee's Willie Smith done for the year

photo by Grant Jefferies
Manatee defensive back Willie Smith is done for the season after being diagnosed with a torn ligament in a knee.
A senior who has committed to Florida International, Smith suffered the injury Friday against Venice and had an MRI taken Wednesday.
"All I can do is just stay here and be here for my team off the field," Smith said Wednesday after watching his teammates prepare for Friday's Class 7A-Region 3 title game againt Fort Pierce Central. "Just do what I can for my team from the sideline."
Smith, who will undergo surgery next week, hopes to report to FIU at 100 percent.
"If not, redshirt," he said, "or do whatever I've got to do."
Smith leads the Hurricanes with four interceptions this season. He also missed two games during the regular season with a hamstring injury.

No comments:

Post a Comment